Tuesday, November 6, 2018

Love You Gone by Rona Halsall



This book really turned me off at first.  A great deal of the story is told in flashback, and I hate flashbacks.  Once I got over that, this turned out to be a really good book, a gripping thriller/mystery that reminded me of Agatha Christie.

Luke is a army veteran with two children who is meeting his wife Mel for a two week getaway in the mountains of Wales.  Only when Mel arrives, Luke and the kids are gone having left a note that they went on a hike.  Later, after it gets dark, Mel calls mountain rescue and tells them that her family is missing.  A search ensues, Mel is questioned by the police, and it is a mystery where Luke and the kids have gotten to.

At this point, the story goes into flashback (I almost didn't read on) and tells the story of Luke and Mel's marriage before the incident.  What got me was the fascination I had for their relationship; they are two genuinely interesting characters.  Gradually we realize that there is more to the disappearance than we thought and the game is afoot. 

'Love You Gone" is a well-written and fascinating mystery and suspense thriller that will keep you compulsively interested to the very end.  Highly recommended.  5/5 stars. 

No comments:

Post a Comment