Friday, September 7, 2018

The Forbidden Door by Dean Koontz



If you like action, this is a good book for you.  This is the fourth book in the Jane Hawk series by Dean Koontz and if anything, it is more action packed with thrills than the first three.  I literally could not put down the book for the first half of the story, compelled as I was by the action.

Jane Hawk is trying to expose a conspiracy by a group called the Arcadians, who want to rule the world by injecting nanobot devices into people to control their minds.  The story in this installment revolves around Jane's son, whose hiding place in Borrego Springs, CA is suddenly exposed.  She must retrieve him; but he surrounded by Arcadians posing as FBI and Homeland security agents.  How can Jane get to her son without being exposed as the fugitive as she is?

The action begins when Jane is spotted by an Arcadian who wants to take her in by himself.  When she shakes him there is the thornier problem of getting her son out of Borrego Springs.  Also, the Arcadians go after Jane's parents in Texas, hoping to inject them with mind control devices so they can reveal his hiding spot.   In a two-tracked plot, the chase is on for Jane and for her parents.

Although I enjoyed this book, there came a point about three-quarters in where the plot devolved into a frenzied free-for-all.  There seemed, to me at least, an overuse of gore and gratuitous sex that made me wince.  I made it through this rough patch, but I have to admit, it turned me off the book.  As the story ends, there is more excitement, but by this time, there is no question that the book will have a happy ending and the bad guys will all be punished.  So, for me, the end was anticlimactic.  Also, it seemed to me that the Jane Hawk Series was being drawn out deliberately so more books could be sold.

If you enjoy Koontz, this book is for you, especially if you read the first three Jane Hawk novels, but if not, I suggest you start at the beginning with the first Jane Hawk novel, "The Silent Corner,' which was a great book.  3/5 stars. 

No comments:

Post a Comment