Saturday, September 15, 2018

The Word is Murder by Anthony Horowitz






















This was a delightful book.  From the very beginning it grabbed my interest and didn't let go.  By the time I finished, I didn't realize how long I had been reading as I was thoroughly entertained.

Diana Cowper is a old, rich, retired woman who goes into a funeral home and arranges her own funeral.  Strangely enough, she was murdered only hours later.  Did she arrange for her own murder?  Anthony (Horowitz), the author, writes this book in first person, inserting himself as a central character.  He is approached by Hawthorne, a true crime detective, to write a book about his investigation of Dian Cowper's murder.  What results is a story of a criminal murder investigation from the very beginning, with all the details and red herrings, to the revelation of the murderer.  I wasn't able to figure out who did the murder, but all the clues were there.  I didn't feel manipulated at all.  If I was clever enough, I could have picked out the murderer myself.

Hawthorne the detective is a complex, interesting character who has incredible insight that rivals Sherlock Holmes.  Time and again I was amazed at the logical deductions he makes about potential suspects and witnesses.  The final solution was surprising and quite unexpected. And Horowitz writes the first person author with zest and a little self deprecation.

You won't be disappointed with this book.  Make sure you have plenty of spare time before you start reading.  Highly recommended.  5/5 stars.

The Word Is Murder: A Novel by [Horowitz, Anthony]

No comments:

Post a Comment